MS SQL 2005 Reporting Services on Windows Server 2003. App based on MS SQL Reporting services web service failing.
Error "System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: The RSA key container could not be opened"
Trouble shooting steps I followed.
- Check IIS, how are you authenticating?
- Check permissions on the sql database, ensure the web server HOSTNAME$ is db owner. If IIS is anonymous then NETWORK SERVICE must have db permissions too.
- Check permissions on your web services via the admin interface usually something like this http://HOSTNAME/Reports$DBINSTANCENAME/Pages/Folder.aspx
- Check you can access the web services from a workstation to ensure the service is "exposed"
- Check you can access the web services from the web server, you should be able to enter the web service required variables and return data.
If the site is running in the "Network Service" context then it is possible that the access to key store was removed. To reassign permissions to allow Network Service account access to the key store run the following command from the .net Framework folder.
%WINDOWS%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis -pa "NetFrameworkConfigurationKey" "Network Service"
This seems to occur sometimes with SUS security updates but I haven't completely figured it out, will update once I do.